Sandringham Primary School is one of the oldest schools in Victoria, first opening in 1855 is an Anglican church in Bamfield Street. Over time the school had grown to become an established part of the local community with around 500 students. In January 2020 a fire destroyed around 50% of the school, causing it to temporarily relocate. The rebuild reconstructs fire damage components along with new two-story buildings incorporating the library LRC, staff common room, seven learning bases, resource intensive learning, circulation, staff work spaces and amenities. The site had been replanned around series of interconnected courtyards and outdoor learning spaces.
Sapphire provided the anodised colours for the aluminium battens that span the inter connecting walkway between the buildings, reflective of the seaside location of the school and anodising’s long term weather resistance properties in salt laden environments.
Photography courtesy of John Gollings AM